Monday, September 2, 2013

{Back to School, Back to Writing} By the Dashboard Lights


How many hours spent moving?
How many hours spent traveling?

this nomadic life

every three years
a new place
a new house
new friends
a new me?

every three years
longing for roots
a place to call home
family

family feels so far away at times
all the miles in between
so many road trips
so many miles

watching children grow up in pictures
longing for the days I could just play with them
now they're grown
teenagers
starting their own road trips

so many miles logged
so many miles spent staring out the window
wondering about the passing farm house
what life must be like growing up surrounded by corn
not traffic
not noise

in the quiet of the night
on the road for so long
the kids are finally asleep
no more yelling
no more tears

in the quiet of the night
I'm almost home
traveling the miles for family
taking as many moments as I can
before they grow up

in the quiet of the night
by the dashboard light
I catch a glimpse of my babies
already growing
already well traveled
already nomadic


---------------------------------------------------------------------------


In the 18 years since I graduated high school I've lived in three different countries, seven different states, and have moved a total of 12 times.  Each of my children have already lived in two states and the youngest has visited 10.


---------------------------------------------------------------------------


Are you interesting in getting back to writing?  Join Creative Soul and get Back to School, Back to Writing.

2 comments:

  1. As predictable as living in one space can be your roots are within your family and not where you "live" ... What an exciting adventure! And the stories you tell. I'm looking forward to more, Rose. I'm glad that I visited here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Alita said, oh the stories that would be told if those dashboard lights could speak. Thank you for sharing this beautiful glimpse into your family's life.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to know what you think.