Wednesday, September 4, 2013

{Back to School, Back to Writing} He Held the Keys

We stood not ten feet apart from each other.

Eyes locked, I was not backing down.

So much rage, no more room for fear.

Standing in the darkness,

I was not backing down.

The reason didn't matter, he was mad.

He was always mad.

I wasn't good enough.

It didn't matter anymore,

I was not backing down.

Not this time.

This time I'd make him do something.

Not just yell,

Not just belittle me,

Telling me I'm worthless.

This time, I was not backing down.

He would not hit me,

Although I had wish he would.

Then people might see him for what was,

An abusive husband.

I was not backing down.

I was leaving.

No more.

I deserved better than this.

I deserved to be loved.

I was leaving.

21 years old was not supposed to be like this.

I was leaving.

I turned.

I heard something whiz by my head.

I hadn't noticed he had been holding the keys.

He had missed!

I left.

I had held my ground.

I had gotten out.


----------------------------------------------------------------


14 years ago I was married to, well, a jerk.  And after counseling I realized it wasn't going to get any better and decided something had to change.  I don't think I had told anyone about how he treated me but, I think, on some level, my mother knew.  And I want to thank her, Thank you, Mom.  You helped lead me to the counseling and you helped give me the courage to leave.  I love you.


--------------------------------------------------------------

I'm writing with Creative Should, getting Back to School, Back to Writing. Come join the fun.

3 comments:

  1. I did not marry the man who treated me like dirt, but in the end the lesson was clear... I'm worth more. And you are, too. I'm glad that you realized that you should not put up with a man who does not love you as you should be loved!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow! This post took as much courage as walking out. Way to go! You ARE worth more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for awe-inspiring post; you have a bundle of good info in this post which really helps out people in great way. And they will come for your more posts.

    Shuvo,
    Clipping Path

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to know what you think.