Thursday, October 14, 2010

Bigger Picture Moment: Derailed Prevention Piece

I am Writing Pink!


Write pink



When I first began research for a diffent piece on breast cancer prevention, I found an abundance of information on how a proper diet and exercise could reduce your risk factors for developing breast cancer. I was intrigued. How perfect would it be, as I'm already trying to implement a healthier diet for me and my family and we're increasing our exercise. This would be a great way for me to share what I'm doing to reduce my personal risks.

But the researched continued. The more I read the more I wanted to learn. The risk factors are so much more then just your genes. I have to admit, I was naive, thinking only those with a family history had to worry.

I think what amazed me the most and really derailed my intended blog was learning how many chemicals mimic estrogen and other hormones. I was floored!

Bisphenol A, commonly referred to as BPA is found in a most plastic and even in the liner of canned fruits and vegetables. Studies {google BPA and you'll see} show exposure to BPA increases your risk factors for breast cancer.

Alkylphenols are endocrine disruptors that mimic or block hormones and are found in detergents, cleaning products, hair dies, and so much more just sitting around the house.

Aluminum, is a metal that mimics estrogen, commonly used to coat non stick cookware. While I wasn't able to find much research, okay, only one article really, it was still enough to make me take pause.

With this new found information, I came to the realization that breast cancer prevention isn't just my genetic make up, it's not just exercising and eating healthy, {quite frankly, I should be doing that anyway} it's not just the foods I choose, but how that food is prepared and stored, processed, shipped...

I know this post is vague, there is so much research out there that shows these things not just being bad for one's health but increasing the risk for breast cancer. What I once thought was such a non-issue for me, I've learned might very well could be. Please look, please don't think like I did.

You can even be a part of the research. Go to Army of Women and sign up, get involved.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome!

    Keep reading the research. It's a little scary and overwhelming at first, but take baby steps.

    I'm really looking forward to your diet and exercise piece as that is probably the most pressing of the prevention issues bc of the obesity stats in our country.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to know what you think.